Special Rules of Order
Special Rules of Order
1. There shall be an educational program with each regular meeting, even if there is no quorum.
(A) A part of each educational program shall be to allow members to ask opinions of other members on parliamentary questions that they have.
(B) Maximum and/or minimum time limits may be established for each part of the education program and/or the entire program as the Unit may desire
(C) The educational program shall be conducted in recess, so that role-playing and adoption of motions during the recess are not official acts of the Unit.
[Note: Per "PDC Revised RP Instructions for CEUs April 2017": To retain registered membership, the RP shall earn twenty (20) continuing education credits (CEUs) within each six-year period as provided in the policies of NAP. How? Participate in parliamentary educational workshops at NAP Unit, Association, and District levels, NAP Training Conferences and Biennial Conventions, Leadership Conferences, and NAP Webinars. Electronic units are treated the same as unit workshops for CEU credits. Participants will earn one CEU for each hour, calculated on quarterly time intervals. (Example: 1 hour 15-minute lesson will earn 1.25 CEUs). At a minimum, the workshop should last for fifty (50) minutes for a one-hour CEU credit. Participants must be present for the entire session time to receive credit. Instructors who present educational workshops may also claim CEUs.]
2. When nominations for an officer position are closed, each person nominated may address the unit for up to three minutes.
3. The chair may recognize members on the basis of recent requests for recognition, rather than strictly on the basis of those seeking recognition after each person yields the floor.
4. Speeches in debate shall be limited to three minutes each.
5. The unit’s order of business shall be as follows:
1) Welcome of Guests
2) Approval of Minutes
3) Consideration of Applicants for Provisional Membership
4) Special Orders
5) Recess for Educational Program
6) Reports of Officers, the Executive Board and Committees
7) Unfinished Business and General Orders
8) New Business
6. Separate special rules of order that are venue specific shall be applicable only when a meeting is held in that venue, as follows:
A) Zoom Rules
This list of venue specific rules and those rules, may be amended by a majority vote with notice, a two-thirds vote without notice, or a vote of the majority of the entire membership.
7. Except as otherwise provided, these special rules of order may be amended by a nine-tenths vote without notice, a two-thirds vote with notice, or a vote of the majority of the entire membership.